Here is the easiest way to reface your kitchen cabinets or any other cabinet.
- Take out your old doors as well as hinges and knobs from old kitchen cabinets.
- Take out the front of the drawers from all drawers. Keep drawers aside. Be careful as there are usually two varieties of drawer fronts. The sort that is simply connected to the drawer chassis can be taken off by removing the attaching drawer pulls, staples or screws. The drawer front that is an inclusive part of the drawer chassis needs to be cut or sawed off, ensuring that the cut is square with the top, bottom part and sides of the chassis.
- Preparing the cabinet: Old screw openings or spaces in the frame work ought to be filled up with either vehicle body filler or wood filler and, whenever dry and fresh, sanded even. All of the areas being refaced using any kind of cabinet refacing product should be scraped clear of cracking paint, grease or varnish. To achieve this you can utilize an automatic belt sander or a paint scraper.
- If you have a corner cabinet, it might be required to put in a filler strip. Should you have an opening that is somewhat too big and you would like to put in a filler strip, get it done once you have scraped the surface. Work with a piece of pine cut to dimension. Secure it with screws. Stuff in any seams with filler and sand even. On occasion you will have to square off areas making use of 1/4″ core (i.e., cabinet bottoms). Reveals at side returns need to be shaved off or spot filled in with 1/8″ or 1/4″ luan skin or plywood to ensure that surface area is even with regard to lamination.
- Once all framework is clean and even, your cabinet refacing laminate, wooden veneer or thermo-foil skins may be applied. In case you are doing the job from a whole sheet of 2′ x 8′ skin cut the product pertaining to cabinet bottoms and returns 1/4″ larger than required. Make certain grain on underneath side of wall kitchen cabinets go the same way. Grain on kitchen cabinet returns ought to run vertically.
- Laminate bottom of wall kitchen cabinets first. Make an application of the supplier suggested adhesive on each kitchen cabinet and cabinet refacing skins. Work with a roller or brush, wherever necessary. Allow the adhesive dry out to the contact. Put on cabinet refacing skin to kitchen cabinet surface. Keep in mind that after product is placed on the cabinet it can not be realigned. Make full use of your good common sense as well as a hand roller or a block of solid wood to flatten out laminate to kitchen cabinet. Crop extra material using a saw, knife, or router. Then laminate returns of cabinets, making use of the exact same procedure.
- Make kitchen cabinet refacing skin straight into strips for stiles as well as rails with grain going the actual length of the strip. Once again, cut strips 1/4″ larger than necessary.
- Laminate kitchen cabinet fronts. Make an application of cabinet refacing skin strips precisely as cabinet is stilled. Laminate first the vertical stiles, than proceed with the horizontal rails. Hold all seams as tight as achievable.
- Instead of carrying on in accordance to guidelines 4′ and 5 above, you can use whole sheets of laminate. Put on to cabinet fronts, after that burst through with trimmer and router to fit opening. Either procedure is suitable. Employing strips will certainly cut back on supplies; masking the whole front of the kitchen cabinet with an entire sheet will certainly help save on work and end up in a far better lamination because absolutely no seams will appear on stiles and rails.
- No matter what procedure used in refacing the front of the kitchen cabinets, leave cabinet refacing skin overhang every time possible.
- Get rid of all extra oak, walnut, or pine skin from cabinets with a saw, a utility knife, or a router
- Congratulations, you have now completed your kitchen cabinet lamination.
Source by Victor Ackers